|Individual Pennsylvania Diocesan Directories|
Note: Additional news items and photos are available under individual school name as available
Catholic Girls High is said to be the example followed by most other Catholic girls high schools in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast area. It is still in operation today and this link features vintage photos of the school.
Central Catholic High School is an-all boys high school begun in 1927. It is still in operation today. Here are vintage photos of the school.
Notre Dame High School for Girls Moylan, Rose Valley
Our high school opened
as a private boarding school just outside of Philadelphia in
1929. It became a diocesan high school for girls in 1935. I am
not sure of when it closed, the 70's, maybe.
Diocese of Pittsburgh
Annunciation High School Closed 1959
Diocese of Erie
St. Benedict Academy which was operated by the Benedictine Sisters closed in the 1980's as well as St. Mark Seminary High School and St. John Kanty Prep. There are now regional high schools in the diocese and one of them, Bradford Central Christian, closed in June 2000.
Below are parish high schools that are now closed
St. Bernard, Bradford -- 1960
In the 1960's regional high schools replaced most of the parish high schools except St. Francis, Clearfield, Immaculate Conception, Clarion and St. Joseph, Lucinda.
In 2007, Bishop Trautman renamed the regional high schools still functioning which include Elk County Catholic, DuBois Central Catholic, Kennedy Catholic (Sharon) and Venango Catholic (Oil City.)
Pennsylvania Catholic School Trivia
* Every Pennsylvania Bishop, Archbishop, or Cardinal-Archbishop before 1961 has had a secondary school named in his honor.
* Through the work of St. John Neumann the first unified system of Catholic schools under a diocesan board began in the city of Philadelphia in 1852.
* Philadelphia is site of the first
free Catholic high school for boys, and girls, in the United
States. The "Roman
Catholic High School for Boys"
was founded for the education of boys in 1890 (referred to as
"Roman Catholic," occasionally as "Catholic High,"
or most commonly as "Roman"). The "Catholic
Girls High School" was founded
in 1911. Mrs. Mary McMichan, one of the schools founders, requested
in her last will that the school be renamed in honor of her brother.
The school became "John
W. Hallahan Catholic Girls High School"
after her death. Both schools are still in existence.
In January 2007, Bishop Joseph F Martino announced the formation of a central Catholic high school for Luzerne County. The school is a consolidation of four high schools: Bishop O'Reilly (Kingston), Bishop Hoban (Wilkes-Barre), Seton Catholic (Pittston), and Bishop Hafey (Hazleton) and will be located in the building that has housed Bishop Hoban since 1972. The school opened on July 1, 2007. O'Reilly (Kingston), Bishop Hoban (Wilkes-Barre), Seton Catholic (Pittston), and Bishop Hafey (Hazleton) closed