Diocese of Brooklyn
Bishop McDonnell Memorial High School for Girls
Info and photos provided by Eileen Gildea, CSJ
Location: Eastern Parkway & Washington Ave., Crown Heights, Bklyn
Address: 260 Eastern Parkway Brooklyn 25, NY (11225)
Opened: September 1926
Closed: June 1973
Opened under Bishop: Thomas E. Molloy
Closed under Bishop: Francis J. Mugavero
Known as/Nickname: Referred to as "Bishop's." Students were known as "Memorialites"
Staffed by: Sisters of St. Joseph, Brentwood, Sisters of St. Dominic, Amityville, Sisters of Mercy, Brooklyn, Daughters of Wisdom, The Sisters of Charity of Mt. St. Vincent (The only all-girls school in the Diocese to be equally staffed by more than one congregation of Women Religious.)
Average enrollment: Just under 2,000 girls
Principals: Reverend John F. Ross
Chaplain: Reverend William J. Cavanaugh
Faculty Members: See link under "Vintage photos"
School colors: Purple & Gold
School song: Memorial
School newspaper: The Laurel
Yearbook: The Mitre
Uniform: None until early 1960s
Building is now: St. Francis De Sales School for the Deaf
Notes from a 1967 graduate: The school officially closed in
June 1973 (and the juniors were offered a chance to accelerate
and graduated July 20, 1973.